The first day of class (April 2 Wednesday),
I'll discuss the administrative aspects of the course,
give a brief introduction to the basic ideas of elementary algebra,
and review some basic facts about decimal and common fractions.
If you miss this day, then you shouldn't suffer too much for it,
but you'll want to get the administrative information from me.
The next day (April 4 Friday), the class will begin in earnest.
The official textbook
is the 3rd Edition
of Elementary & Intermediate Algebra published by Pearson.
We cover Sections 8.6&7
and all of Chapters 1–5, except for Section 4.6.
Here is the complete list of covered sections:
1.1–8, 2.1–8, 3.1–7, 4.1–5, 5.1–6, 8.6&7.
For reasons of time,
we will skip
some of Sections 2.8, 3.7, and 8.6
and all of Sections 2.7, 3.3, 3.5&6, 4.1–5, 5.5, and 8.7.
Here they are again, in the order in which I intend to cover them:
I'll announce it ahead of time if I change this order.
(For the schedule of due dates for assignments,
check the homework page.)
- §1.1&2: All;
- §1.3: All except set notation;
- §§1.4&5: Only opposites, reciprocals, and word problems;
- §1.6: Units;
- §1.7: Exponents;
- §5.4: Only arithmetic;
- §1.7: Order of operations;
- §1.6: Arithmetic identities;
Using identities to do arithmetic with signed numbers and fractions;
- §5.2, §5.4: Only identities;
- §5.6: All;
- §1.8, §5.1, §2.4: Evaluating expressions and formulas;
- §1.8, §5.1: Terms and coefficients;
- §1.8, §5.1: Simplifying expressions;
- §3.1&2: Graphing points and formulas;
- §2.5: Only expressions;
- §5.1: Only word problems;
- §2.1, §3.1, §3.7: Testing solutions;
- §1.3: Set notation;
- §2.8, §8.6: Solution sets;
- §2.1: All remaining except word problems;
- §§2.2&3: All except word problems;
- §2.8: All remaining except word problems;
- §8.6: Compound inequalities;
- §§2.1–3: Only word problems;
- §2.5: All remaining;
- §2.6: All;
- §2.4, §§3.1&2: All remaining;
- §3.4: All;
- §5.2, §5.4: All remaining;
- §5.3: All.
The last day to drop the course with a full refund is April 9 Wednesday;
the last day to drop at all is May 13 Tuesday.
By May 8 Thursday,
your midterm grade estimates
should be available
your final grades should be available there on June 16 Monday.
if you want to know them faster.
Go back to the course homepage.
This web page was written between 2003 and 2014 by Toby Bartels,
last edited on 2014 June 10.
Toby reserves no legal rights to it.
The permanent URI of this web page